From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: adding sys-apps/iproute2 to the @system set
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2014 00:10:08
1 On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 5:20 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > Even better, @system is basically stuff you don't want to depend
3 > explicitly on or on which it is hard to depend on. As I see it, it
4 > should be just the most basic stuff, like baselayout, shell, some basic
5 > POSIX-defined utilities, some random stuff that PMS enforces, a C & C++
6 > compiler.
7 >
8 > As I see it, @system is already overburdened with random packages that
9 > don't belong there. If we really feel like having to have something
10 > else installed by default, why not just put it in default @world?
13 ++
14
15 The purpose of the system set is to deal with circular deps and the
16 need to bootstrap. We shouldn't have stuff in there if it is possible
17 to run without it.
18
19 There are loads of things I can't live without which aren't in the
20 system set. I have a default world file that I always start with
21 anytime I do an install. If we ever get mix-ins worked out that would
22 be another way to just have convenience sets of recommended software.
25 Rich