From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Questions about SystemD and OpenRC
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 19:25:29
1 On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 1:57 PM, Ciaran McCreesh
2 <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 13:53:34 -0500
4 > Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> That doesn't say anything about the design of systemd, which is why I
6 >> use it; not because of the build system.
7 >
8 > Actually, it's fairly representative of the design of systemd too: it
9 > forces you into a particular monolithic, vertically integrated, tightly
10 > coupled way of doing things, and if you try to deviate from that way,
11 > then you're stuffed.
12
13 I agree with Greg Kroah-Hartman: I actually like (and want) a
14 "vertically integrated, tightly coupled way of doing things". And of
15 course people who *don't* want that don't have to use it; just don't
16 expect support from the people writing the code for a "vertically
17 integrated, tightly coupled" OS, and don't complain when they reject
18 your contributions when they go against their goals.
19
20 Or in other words, if you don't want a vertically integrated, tightly
21 coupled system, then use mdev, or Luca's fork of udev; if enough
22 people really want that, they will thrive.
23
24 Regards.
25 --
26 Canek Peláez Valdés