From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: SCM choices
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 18:57:20
1 On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 19:30 +0200, Marijn Schouten (hkBst) wrote:
2 > I just don't think it is obvious what tests should be performed. Furthermore the difference between
3 > the different systems is not just performance, but also features. So we need to discuss what
4 > standards any candidate SCM should measure up to.
5
6 No, we really don't.
7
8 First off, let's look at things we know we need. This is pretty much
9 the CVS feature set. Next, look at things we want. Does any SCM
10 provide things we want? Now, I'm not going to reiterate all the junk
11 people have said they want, since it's all archived for prosperity.
12 Next, start comparing the things we *require* and the things we *want*
13 in each SCM. Some good metrics people have already been using are
14 server-side disk space, client-side disk space, bandwidth, time for
15 checkout, time for commit, time for update...
16
17 Also, remember that the needs of the few definitely doesn't outweigh the
18 needs of the many. If 99.9% of the developer pool are doing only
19 checkout/update/commit cycles, then having a 50% drop in performance or
20 a 700% increase in disk usage only to gain features that don't affect
21 the 99.9% make a migration no longer worth it. This is what I mean by
22 using numbers to back up your ideas.
23
24 > I thought the shortcomings in features of CVS in comparison with SVN were understood. Given in turn
25 > SVN's shortcomings in comparison to distributed SCMs and the abundance and maturity of them it seems
26 > to me that the only decision to be made is what to switch to.
27
28 What shortcomings, exactly? This is something that you have to
29 quantify.
30
31 CVS does $x
32 CVS does not do $y
33
34 I simply have not seen much of anything that would be useful to a large
35 enough section of our developer pool to be worth the problems of a
36 migration. About the only thing I see is "svn cp" to preserve history.
37 I see lots of reasons for it in non-tree repositories, but little in the
38 tree, which already has branches and tags disabled, among other things.
39
40 > > I don't get why you discuss a distributed SCM, then proceed to talk
41 > > about minimal CD + releases stuff which has nothing to do with the main
42 > > tree.
43 >
44 > Just an example to demonstrate how non-distributed SCM impose artificial restrictions. You wanted to
45 > be convinced, right? I realize the specifics of the example, specifically the expected small extent
46 > of divergence, make this a bad example in practice. But think about the theory.
47
48 OK. You weren't able to successfully demonstrate anything to me, then.
49 I saw nothing in your mail that showed me why what you described would
50 be a problem, especially considering the examples you used.
51
52 > But let me try again. Suppose you are developing an ebuild or are cooperating in developing an
53 > ebuild or set of ebuilds with eclasses such as happens now in overlays. Such overlays could just be
54 > branches in the same repository with easy merging between branches which preserves history. All with
55 > one tool.
56
57 I guess I've just never had the need to do anything of the sort. I'm
58 perfectly capable of using revision bumps and other methodologies
59 already in use in the main tree in my overlays. Why do we need two sets
60 of practices? Why do we need to modify the main tree to fit the model
61 of the much smaller and less utilized overlays?
62
63 > It would also empower people who don't have push access to the tree or to a specific overlay or to
64 > any overlay, by making it possible for them to do everything people with push access do except
65 > pushing, instead of also making it very hard to use the same SCM.
66
67 Like what?
68
69 Qualify your statements. I don't use other SCM software, like many of
70 our developers/users. If you're going to try to tell me that I can't do
71 something I don't want to do, or don't even know is possible, you won't
72 convince me without compelling examples.
73
74 My point is that instead of discussing all of this yet again, you get
75 together some features you think are required and why, as well as some
76 performance metrics, as I stated above, and try approaching this from a
77 more technical front and less of an emotional one. Like I said, I don't
78 care which SCM you like. You shouldn't care which one I like. There's
79 no way we could ever please everyone, so why even bother to switch?
80
81 > - From some discussion on irc I learned that lack of tree and history slicing are two concerns of
82 > git's readyness. I hope to do some tests on the tree slicing soon.
83
84 Excellent.
85
86 This was something that wasn't available before, so if you're wanting to
87 test it with a newer git that does this well, then that is something we
88 can look at as something that has changed.
89
90 > I also learned that darcs does not support enough architectures, most importantly mips. Therefore
91 > I'd like to know what architectures need to be supported by a candidate SCM.
92
93 Ideally, all of them. I would consider dropping support for an
94 architecture we support currently a strong reason to never consider that
95 SCM. If I cannot commit from the machine I'm doing a KEYWORD request
96 on, the SCM fails IMO.
99 Chris Gianelloni
100 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
101 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
102 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
103 Gentoo Foundation