From: "Marijn Schouten (hkBst)" <hkBst@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: SCM choices
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 17:34:13
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
5 > On Sat, 2007-03-31 at 11:52 +0200, Marijn Schouten (hkBst) wrote:
6 >> So in light of all that I don't think it is wasteful to restart this discussion.
7 >
8 > I do.
9 >
10 > Want to bring it back up? Go perform some tests and report back with
11 > some data if you feel prior efforts weren't done properly or
12 > reproducible. My *entire* point was that *discussion* of this issue is
13 > worthless compared to numbers and data. I see no need to hear 300+
14 > people tell everyone else their *opinion* on what they *think* is
15 > better. Seeing some actual data, though, should be definitely
16 > encouraged.
17 > Again, if you want to see the tree converted to something else, you need
18 > to show compelling reasons and data *why* it should be done. Discussing
19 > it doesn't really show those things and lends itself to giving only
20 > beliefs, political or personal, about given SCM software. I honestly
21 > don't care what anybody *thinks* about any particular SCM. I am
22 > interested in the facts and numbers. I don't have much preference
23 > myself other than that I already know CVS/SVN. If we were to make a
24 > change, even to SVN, I'd like to see some well-thought-out reasons why
25 > and some numbers to back it up.
26
27 I just don't think it is obvious what tests should be performed. Furthermore the difference between
28 the different systems is not just performance, but also features. So we need to discuss what
29 standards any candidate SCM should measure up to.
30
31 I thought the shortcomings in features of CVS in comparison with SVN were understood. Given in turn
32 SVN's shortcomings in comparison to distributed SCMs and the abundance and maturity of them it seems
33 to me that the only decision to be made is what to switch to.
34
35 > I don't get why you discuss a distributed SCM, then proceed to talk
36 > about minimal CD + releases stuff which has nothing to do with the main
37 > tree.
38
39 Just an example to demonstrate how non-distributed SCM impose artificial restrictions. You wanted to
40 be convinced, right? I realize the specifics of the example, specifically the expected small extent
41 of divergence, make this a bad example in practice. But think about the theory.
42 But let me try again. Suppose you are developing an ebuild or are cooperating in developing an
43 ebuild or set of ebuilds with eclasses such as happens now in overlays. Such overlays could just be
44 branches in the same repository with easy merging between branches which preserves history. All with
45 one tool.
46 It would also empower people who don't have push access to the tree or to a specific overlay or to
47 any overlay, by making it possible for them to do everything people with push access do except
48 pushing, instead of also making it very hard to use the same SCM.
49
50 - From some discussion on irc I learned that lack of tree and history slicing are two concerns of
51 git's readyness. I hope to do some tests on the tree slicing soon.
52 I also learned that darcs does not support enough architectures, most importantly mips. Therefore
53 I'd like to know what architectures need to be supported by a candidate SCM.
54
55 Marijn
64 --
65 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list