From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New category net-telephony
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 00:09:47
1 On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 00:01 +0200, Stefan Knoblich wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > this has been a little longer on my ToDo list and i think now is the right time to propose it
5 > (before starting to put asterisk-1.2(_pre) stuff into the tree...).
6 >
7 > Things that should be moved:
8
9 s/should/could
12 > and everything else telephony related that's missing here.
13 >
14 > Why net-telephony?
15 > Some of these things aren't purely (or enterely not) VoIP only e.g. asterisk, zaptel and libpri
16 > (and more stuff being out there that wouldn't fit into a voip only category).
17
18 > Comments? Suggestions?
21 While as much as we love and depend on these programs. Moving them wont
22 really help anything other than making the tree slightly easier to
23 navigate by end users. This slight gain of category navigation comes at
24 a price in that it invalidates existing packages/GRP sets and causes
25 breakage for users that utilized overlays. One might think is that not
26 what fixpackages is supposed to fix. But sadly the existing fixpackages
27 is flawed in design which renders it pretty much usable to most.
28
29 I love these ebuilds but I hope you do not add net-telephony to the
30 tree.
34 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list