From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New category net-telephony
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 03:32:13
1 maillog: 12/07/2005-20:07:11(-0400): Ned Ludd types
2 > On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 00:01 +0200, Stefan Knoblich wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > this has been a little longer on my ToDo list and i think now is the right time to propose it
6 > > (before starting to put asterisk-1.2(_pre) stuff into the tree...).
7 > >
8 > > Things that should be moved:
9 >
10 > s/should/could
13 > > and everything else telephony related that's missing here.
14 > >
15 > > Why net-telephony?
16 > > Some of these things aren't purely (or enterely not) VoIP only e.g. asterisk, zaptel and libpri
17 > > (and more stuff being out there that wouldn't fit into a voip only category).
18 >
19 > > Comments? Suggestions?
22 > While as much as we love and depend on these programs. Moving them wont
23 > really help anything other than making the tree slightly easier to
24 > navigate by end users. This slight gain of category navigation comes at
25 > a price in that it invalidates existing packages/GRP sets and causes
26 > breakage for users that utilized overlays. One might think is that not
27 > what fixpackages is supposed to fix. But sadly the existing fixpackages
28 > is flawed in design which renders it pretty much usable to most.
29 >
30 > I love these ebuilds but I hope you do not add net-telephony to the
31 > tree.
32
33 Every post against moving/renaming a package in the tree gets my
34 support. Remember, the alternative to a flat portage tree is to keep
35 packages in place.
38 -* Georgi Georgiev -* The sheep died in the wool. -*
39 *- chutz@×××.net *- *-
40 -* +81(90)2877-8845 -* -*
41 --
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list