From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for March
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 07:36:05
1 >>>>> On Fri, 07 Mar 2008, Petteri Räty wrote:
2 >>> Jeroen Roovers kirjoitti:
3 >>>> The list of architectures that Gentoo supports is one of its
4 >>>> greatest assets. It is important that Gentoo makes available
5 >>>> an as large as possible set of packages to as many platforms
6 >>>> as is sanely doable. For this purpose we have a testing and
7 >>>> stabilisation system that depends on architecture keywords
8 >>>> being propagated from one version to the next. I would like
9 >>>> to stress to all package maintainers that dropping keywords,
10 >>>> i.e. removing any architecture's keyword entirely, instead of
11 >>>> replacing "arch" with "~arch", _hurts_ the Gentoo Project.
12
13 > Isn't what you wrote the existing policy?
14
15 If it is, then the last question of the end-quiz should be changed:
16
17 | 19. You are bumping foomatic's ebuild from version 1.5 to version
18 | 2.0. This new version is a massive rewrite which introduces
19 | huge changes to the build system, the required libraries
20 | and how the code works. What will you do for KEYWORDS here?
21
22 My answer to it (about one year ago) wasn't in agreement with Jeroen's
23 above statement, but my mentor and my recruiter were satisfied with it
24 at the time.
25
26 Ulrich
27 --