From: Damien Levac <damien.levac@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC GLEP 1005: Package Tags
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 17:31:53
1 On 14-03-24 12:28 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 10:55:38 -0400
3 > Damien Levac <damien.levac@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> A lot of people already replied to this question: package search.
5 > Sure, but can you point to prior examples of this kind of stuff
6 > actually working?
7 >
8 I have no example for package searching... However it is used a lot in
9 multimedia search since it is traditional to give tags to video for
10 example. If you want a "funny" example of tags, see tags for animes on
11 anidb.net --- this allows users to easily find animes that contains
12 element they enjoy to see.
13
14 That being said, I am surprised that having no example showing it works
15 should be a deal breaker for trying it out. Wouldn't that mindset kill
16 innovation? Personally, I expect it to be not so great at the beginning,
17 as the tags chosen will most likely be the most clever ones on the first
18 try, and will get more and more useful as the tag convention get better.
19
20 Such a feature could later being used to create applications like *gasp*
21 an intuitive GUI interface to portage or for statistical analysis of
22 packages...
23
24 Damien