From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC GLEP 1005: Package Tags
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 18:10:59
1 On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 13:31:43 -0400
2 Damien Levac <damien.levac@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > That being said, I am surprised that having no example showing it
4 > works should be a deal breaker for trying it out. Wouldn't that
5 > mindset kill innovation?
6
7 I ask, because this isn't the first time "tags" have been proposed as
8 the magic solution to everything. Each previous time, everyone has had
9 a slightly different, incompatible idea of what "tags" are, what
10 they're supposed to do, and how they're supposed to do it. So I would
11 like to see someone explain in detail, and without glossing over the
12 inconvenient technicalities, just how "tags" will help with "searching".
13
14 > Such a feature could later being used to create applications like
15 > *gasp* an intuitive GUI interface to portage or for statistical
16 > analysis of packages...
17
18 Could, maybe. But the current lack of intuitive GUI and the lack of
19 statistical analysis both have absolutely nothing to do with not having
20 tags...
23 Ciaran McCreesh