From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Ideas for a (fast) EAPI=3
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 16:17:39
1 On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 17:11:56 +0100
2 Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o> wrote:
3 > Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>:
4 > > Then this is a legitimate problem that someone needs to know about
5 > > and fix. So having src_test turned on globally is a *good* thing.
6 > >
7 > [...]
8 > >
9 > > Again, finding this is good.
10 > [...]
11 > >
12 > > And if you're on an especially slow platform, as a user you can turn
13 > > tests off.
14 >
15 > Ciaran, your initial argument was that stable users won't see those
16 > failures as architecture teams will spot them during stabilisation.
17
18 Unless there is a genuine problem, yes.
19
20 > This is wrong, above cases will turn up after a successful
21 > stabilisation with full QA.
22
23 And they indicate a genuine problem, so you want them to show up.
24
25 > Nobody ever said, that spotting those is bad, so for me this
26 > discussion has ended. Enabling by default for everyone (not all
27 > users are experts, like it or not) is a bad idea as it causes many
28 > false positives and has drawbacks for just-users.
29
30 So? The occasional false positive, which can quickly be fixed, is a lot
31 better than missing things that will break a user's system. We should
32 be failing safely, not defaulting to dangerous behaviour.
35 Ciaran McCreesh