From: "Santiago M. Mola" <coldwind@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: "Slacking" arches - which are stable, which aren't?
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 07:18:23
1 El lun, 06-10-2008 a las 23:13 +0000, Duncan escribió:
2 > Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o> posted 48EA6FF2.8020201@g.o,
3 > excerpted below, on Mon, 06 Oct 2008 15:07:14 -0500:
4 >
5 > > AFAIK, it is incorrect right now to exclude s390, arm, sh, etc on
6 > > stablereqs right now..But, I ask this question to the dev community:
7 > > "Why?" There are ~190 open bugs with s390 as assignee or on the CC list.
8 > > Does it *really* matter if these under-staffed "odd" arches have a
9 > > stable tree or not?
10 >
11 > Having been an amd64 user back when it was much smaller, and having
12 > followed the previous discussion on this here, including the mips ->
13 > experimental move, yes, it does matter. With the bugs there's at least
14 > some info on a package and its stabilization potential when/if someone
15 > gets around to doing something about it. Without them, the job of
16 > bringing them back to unsupported and then to full supported, if there's
17 > suddenly a leap in interest, becomes much harder as there's that much
18 > less info on what /was/ stable at one point, and on anything in the ~arch
19 > versions that might need checked before they go stable again.
22 I fully agree. I think bringing some understaffed arches back to ~arch
23 is an option, but should be avoided if possible.
24
25 I wonder how many of these 190 open bugs in s390 are actually bugs about
26 brokenness, and not just regular stabilizations...
27
28 And by the way, amd64 had a similar amount of open bugs by the end of
29 2007.
30
31 Regards,
32 --