From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: "Slacking" arches - which are stable, which aren't?
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 23:13:52
1 Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o> posted 48EA6FF2.8020201@g.o,
2 excerpted below, on Mon, 06 Oct 2008 15:07:14 -0500:
3
4 > AFAIK, it is incorrect right now to exclude s390, arm, sh, etc on
5 > stablereqs right now..But, I ask this question to the dev community:
6 > "Why?" There are ~190 open bugs with s390 as assignee or on the CC list.
7 > Does it *really* matter if these under-staffed "odd" arches have a
8 > stable tree or not?
9
10 Having been an amd64 user back when it was much smaller, and having
11 followed the previous discussion on this here, including the mips ->
12 experimental move, yes, it does matter. With the bugs there's at least
13 some info on a package and its stabilization potential when/if someone
14 gets around to doing something about it. Without them, the job of
15 bringing them back to unsupported and then to full supported, if there's
16 suddenly a leap in interest, becomes much harder as there's that much
17 less info on what /was/ stable at one point, and on anything in the ~arch
18 versions that might need checked before they go stable again.
19
20 So it matters; there's a practical reason for it. However, that's not
21 the same as saying it's the overall best solution at this time. I have
22 no opinion on that, particularly as I /personally/ prefer ~arch in any
23 case.
28 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman