From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: "Slacking" arches - which are stable, which aren't?
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 20:07:27
1 Steev Klimaszewski wrote:
2 > On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 9:07 PM, Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 20:44:51 -0500
4 >> Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> I would suggest moving all the "slacking" arches to "experimental"
7 >>> until there is desire from the dev community (read: manpower) to
8 >>> support a stable tree again. Until then, it seems pretty pointless to
9 >>> keep assigning bugs to these arches and they just keep rotting there
10 >>> because no one gets around to them.
11 >>>
12 >>> 2 cents,
13 >>> -Jeremy
14 >> ++ $473.57
18 > My aim with the email wasn't to start up this discussion so much as to
19 > figure out which arches are supported by stable keywords, and which
20 > ones are okay to not request stable keywords so that bugs don't sit
21 > around for months without action on them. I know that vapier is
22 > pretty much the only dev with an sh or s390 box, but I know there are
23 > a couple of people with ARM, I was just hoping we had some sort of
24 > official list somewhere.
27 I wasn't trying to go down that road either but you should know that
28 this discussion will be forced there if there is to be any conclusion to
29 this topic. AFAIK, it is incorrect right now to exclude s390, arm, sh,
30 etc on stablereqs right now..But, I ask this question to the dev
31 community: "Why?" There are ~190 open bugs with s390 as assignee or on
32 the CC list. Does it *really* matter if these under-staffed "odd" arches
33 have a stable tree or not? If there is a problem with a stable package
34 right now, will there be a new version marked stable in a reasonable
35 amount of time? I think we can conclude that having a stable tree for
36 understaffed arches might cause more harm than good.
37
38 To conclude my input on the topic:
39 It is my opinion that filing stablereqs against these arches is silly.
40 However, I will continue to do so until requested otherwise. I respect
41 that people may not have enough resources or time to keep up to x86 or
42 amd64, so maybe there needs to be a policy change somehow..? (or maybe
43 it just needs to be clarified better)
44
45 -Jeremy