From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: why are we still distributing the portage tree via rsync?
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2018 15:41:11
1 On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 11:32 AM Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > 1) it is still the most bandwidth economical means of distributing the
4 > tree
5
6 Is this true? If I do two syncs 10min apart, I have to imagine that
7 less data will get transferred for git. Certianly there will be less
8 disk IO. I think the main issue is when does the crossover happen
9 because if I sync a year apart git is going to send every file that
10 was ever added and then removed from the tree in that time.
11
12 Also, do we care about bandwidth when there are mirrors that offer it for free?
13
14 > 2) we have a large infrastructure of rsync mirrors, which we do not for
15 > git.
18 Do we need them. I've yet to see somebody complain about poor syncing
19 performance from github. I imagine we could just use that and a few
20 other free mirroring services to distribute the tree.
21
22 While I appreciate all the donors giving us mirrors/etc, it seems like
23 we would be much more resilient if we didn't require them in the first
24 place.
27 Rich