From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: why are we still distributing the portage tree via rsync?
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2018 16:34:56
1 On Tue, Jul 03, 2018 at 11:40:53AM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 11:32 AM Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o> wrote:
3 > > 2) we have a large infrastructure of rsync mirrors, which we do not for
4 > > git.
7 > Do we need them. I've yet to see somebody complain about poor syncing
8 > performance from github. I imagine we could just use that and a few
9 > other free mirroring services to distribute the tree.
10
11 I don't feel comfortable relying on github as a primary means of
12 distributing the tree due to our social contract. It is a value-added
13 kind of service, but we should not rely on it.
14
15 William