From: pclouds <pclouds@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Getting Important Updates To Users
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 03:14:06
1 Just curious how other distros deliver important news to their users?
2
3 On 10/30/05, Chris White <chriswhite@g.o> wrote:
4 > It has made somewhat painfully obvious as of late as to the lack of a
5 > centralized source of updates for users. This has recently become true
6 > moreso with the apache2 config file changes and the step to php5. A couple
7 > of things I'd like to bring out:
8 >
9 > 1) Currently, our gentoo.org front page is very, well, slim. Afaik, I only
10 > see major site updates, mailing lists notices, gdp updates, and of course the
11 > GWN. In a way I think we're underestimating our frontpage. When someone is
12 > first introduced to gentoo, they are most likely directed immediately to the
13 > frontpage, www.gentoo.org. If they notice things such as major updates and
14 > what not, chances are they'll most likely keep viewing it throughout their
15 > Gentoo usage (at least I'd hope). However, it becomes somewhat combersome to
16 > check the page every now and then for some, which comes to the second point.
17 >
18 > 2) The front page also has a nice RSS feed. This can be utilized for people
19 > that would rather have convient RSS feeds avaliable on demand. Considering
20 > that rss readers are avaliable pretty much in every form nowdays, it would be
21 > considered a good idea to update the front page more for this reason as well.
22 > This would give users the chance to have news feed to them in a convient and
23 > functional manner (after all, that is the point of RSS). Of course, maybe
24 > people are more tune with email, which comes to point three.
25 >
26 > 3) I think it would be a good idea for gentoo-announce to also include front
27 > page announcements. This would work well for people that are more email
28 > oriented (they use email a lot for business) and would keep things
29 > centralized for them. This would also be best promoted on the front page,
30 > maybe stickied in some form or another.
31 >
32 > So in conclusion, front page should get more updates, which would propigate to
33 > rss, and maybe link gentoo-announce to the front page as well.
34 >
35 > Chris White
42 Bi Cờ Lao
45 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list