From: Brian Jackson <iggy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kernel module dm-mod
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 19:05:27
1 On Saturday 28 February 2004 12:50, Kevin wrote:
2 > Hi All-
3 >
4 > It looks to me like the subject module is absent from
5 > vanilla kernel sources (not Gentoo, but real vanilla
6 > kernels). But I see that Gentoo kernel packages have
7 > it.
8
9 device mapper hasn't been and won't be in vanilla
12 > Can someone tell me how to get the kernel patch (if
13 > that's what it is) to make this module and use it with
14 > a plain vanilla kernel?
15 >
16 > I've found this site
17 > (http://people.sistina.com/~thornber/dm/), but is that
18 > the authoritative source for this?
19
20 yes, that is the place to get device mapper patches
21
22 > I'd like to use
23 > this on a Gentoo box, but I'd like to build my own
24 > kernel from scratch and would like to avoid any
25 > incompatibilities between my Gentoo box and my
26 > self-built vanilla kernel as I will probably switch
27 > between my kernel and a Gentoo kernel from time to
28 > time.
29
30 you can try xfs-sources, it's got much less patches (less chances for
31 something to go wrong), and has device mapper already in it
34 > Also, how many other kernel patches (and which ones) do
35 > the Gentoo kernel packages contain (that differ from
36 > the standard linux kernel sources)?
37
38 gentoo-sources has over 100 patches, it would take a long time to list what
39 the all do
42 > TIA.
43 >
44 > -Kevin