From: Brent Cook <busterb@×××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Where forth are thou /usr/share/dict/ ?
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 22:29:00
1 Hi,
2
3 I just recently resubscribed to the developer list after being dumped
4 from a server upgrade or something. I forgot how much mail I would get!
5
6 Anyway, I was trying out all of the xscreensaver modules (you do it too!),
7 and tried getting the webcollage module to work. One of the things it
8 needs is a dictionary to lookup words for random web searching, but I was
9 unable to locate a package in gentoo that provides the necessary word
10 list. I looked in my FreeBSD machine and grabbed the files from
11 /usr/share/dict/, but they appear to be part of the FreeBSD userland, and
12 not separately maintained (though, how often does a dictionary really need
13 to be updated?)
14
15 If anyone is interested in making an ebuild and adding a word dictionary
16 to gentoo (they're good for cracking or checking the strength of passwords
17 too), the files can be had here:
18
19 http://ozma.union.utexas.edu/~busterb/dict.tar.gz
20
21 This should be an inoccuous package to add, since it is just text files.
22
23 - Brent