From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] official games repository
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 02:29:10
1 On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 9:53 PM, Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
2 > Markos,
3 >
4 > Markos Chandras wrote:
5 >> This is not a great way to invite more users to participate. If you
6 >> intend to make the game overlay and team a developer-only thing you
7 >> are doing a great work.
8 >
9 > Everything in the Gentoo project is per definition strictly
10 > developer-only. I suppose that it's a function of having the
11 > project centered around a foundation.
12
13 I can't think of any reason that the Foundation would have anything to
14 do with who can and cannot participate in anything related to Gentoo.
15
16 Gentoo projects have involved non-developers from time to time. The
17 documentation project even gives commit access to non-developers, and
18 arch testers have elevated privileges in bugzilla.
19
20 The way our current portage tree is set up basically forces us into an
21 all-or-nothing security model for commit access - we don't have layers
22 of integration testing to protect users from errors or abuses.
23
24 Proxy maintainership is one way around this. I think there are many
25 here who would love to see more non-developer contribution.
26 Suggestions are always welcome, and those willing to put in effort to
27 make the suggestions happen are probably even more welcome. Moving to
28 git certainly won't hurt, but that won't automatically change anything
29 either.
30
31 Rich