From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Managing updates on many identical Gentoo systems
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 18:13:35
1 On 01/19/2018 07:03 AM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > On 1/19/18 9:45 AM, Alec Warner wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 5:13 PM, Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> On 18/01/18 23:36, Duncan wrote:
6 >>>> Anthony G. Basile posted on Thu, 18 Jan 2018 06:46:53 -0500 as excerpted:
7 >>>>
8 >>>>> I'm trying to design an update system for many identical Gentoo systems.
9 >>>>> Using a binhost is obvious, but there are still problems with this
10 >>>>> approach.
11 >>>>>
12 >>>
13 >>> I'd suggest go for a semi diskless OS - boot them from one central image
14 >>> with an individual overlay filesystem with local customisations. NFS
15 >>> mount the common directories.
16 >>>
17 >>> you just have a one central host to build for and don't need to worry
18 >>> about portage everywhere.
19 >>>
20 >>> Worked ok with a small number of mythtv frontends.
21 >>>
22 >>
23 >> It doesn't work if you have a WAN; NFS needs low latencies between the NFS
24 >> server and the client or you will have a bad time.
28 > Zac pretty much nailed the requirements in bug #644990. You should not
29 > need the portage tree at all, neither locally nor via any network
30 > filesystem. He mentions there that it is currently possible via "a
31 > dummy profile", but I'm not sure what he means by that yet or how to set
32 > one up.
33
34 The dummy profile consists of making a /etc/portage/make.profile/
35 directory that is nearly empty, containing only a make.defaults file
36 with minimal settings like these:
37
38 ARCH="amd64"
39 ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="**"
40 ACCEPT_LICENSE="*"
41
42 You also need a big IUSE_IMPLICIT setting in there if you don't have
43 this patch that's in portage-2.3.19:
44
45 https://gitweb.gentoo.org/proj/portage.git/commit/?id=2382082dcfce5e6c2be7c4dd6aed7c32e1d20616
46
47 With the dummy profile, you can install all of the packages available in
48 the binhost. Currently, there's not a really good way to tell emerge to
49 install all packages from the binhost, but you can parse them all from
50 ${PORTAGE_BINHOST}/Packages and write the list to /var/lib/portage/world
51 or something similar. Then `emerge -vuGD @world`.
52
53 I've described my currently planned sequence of steps here:
54
55 https://bugs.gentoo.org/644990#c3
56
57 If you try the dummy profile approach, then if there are any in-place
58 package moves in the binhost then you may have problems with file
59 collisions, but I've described how I plan to handle that in the above
60 bug comment.
61 --
62 Thanks,
63 Zac