From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Managing updates on many identical Gentoo systems
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 15:03:43
1 On 1/19/18 9:45 AM, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 5:13 PM, Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
3 >
4 >> On 18/01/18 23:36, Duncan wrote:
5 >>> Anthony G. Basile posted on Thu, 18 Jan 2018 06:46:53 -0500 as excerpted:
6 >>>
7 >>>> I'm trying to design an update system for many identical Gentoo systems.
8 >>>> Using a binhost is obvious, but there are still problems with this
9 >>>> approach.
10 >>>>
11 >>
12 >> I'd suggest go for a semi diskless OS - boot them from one central image
13 >> with an individual overlay filesystem with local customisations. NFS
14 >> mount the common directories.
15 >>
16 >> you just have a one central host to build for and don't need to worry
17 >> about portage everywhere.
18 >>
19 >> Worked ok with a small number of mythtv frontends.
22 > It doesn't work if you have a WAN; NFS needs low latencies between the NFS
23 > server and the client or you will have a bad time.
27 Zac pretty much nailed the requirements in bug #644990. You should not
28 need the portage tree at all, neither locally nor via any network
29 filesystem. He mentions there that it is currently possible via "a
30 dummy profile", but I'm not sure what he means by that yet or how to set
31 one up. I'll read his bug #640318 and try to figure it out.
32
33 Thanks guys, I'm glad people at least recognized the usefulness of such
34 a possibility.
37 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
38 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
39 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
40 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
41 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA