From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Managing updates on many identical Gentoo systems
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 15:34:21
1 On 1/19/18 10:03 AM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > On 1/19/18 9:45 AM, Alec Warner wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 5:13 PM, Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> On 18/01/18 23:36, Duncan wrote:
6 >>>> Anthony G. Basile posted on Thu, 18 Jan 2018 06:46:53 -0500 as excerpted:
7 >>>>
8 >>>>> I'm trying to design an update system for many identical Gentoo systems.
9 >>>>> Using a binhost is obvious, but there are still problems with this
10 >>>>> approach.
11 >>>>>
12 >>>
13 >>> I'd suggest go for a semi diskless OS - boot them from one central image
14 >>> with an individual overlay filesystem with local customisations. NFS
15 >>> mount the common directories.
16 >>>
17 >>> you just have a one central host to build for and don't need to worry
18 >>> about portage everywhere.
19 >>>
20 >>> Worked ok with a small number of mythtv frontends.
21 >>>
22 >>
23 >> It doesn't work if you have a WAN; NFS needs low latencies between the NFS
24 >> server and the client or you will have a bad time.
28 > Zac pretty much nailed the requirements in bug #644990. You should not
29 > need the portage tree at all, neither locally nor via any network
30 > filesystem. He mentions there that it is currently possible via "a
31 > dummy profile", but I'm not sure what he means by that yet or how to set
32 > one up. I'll read his bug #640318 and try to figure it out.
33 >
34 > Thanks guys, I'm glad people at least recognized the usefulness of such
35 > a possibility.
38 Okay, I have a workable solution to my question. I was able to get
39 binhost working with a portage tree containing ONLY /profiles and
40 /eclass. That's 12MB and 2.8MB in size, respectively, and I can
41 probably dump a bunch of the unused profile directories slimming that
42 down. With just those two directories in PORTDIR, emerge -K pulls down
43 the update packages from BINHOST and installs them.
44
45 @zac any comments about this approach? Is it likely to break?
48 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
49 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
50 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
51 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
52 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA