From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reviving webapp-config
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 09:36:58
1 On 06/13/11 01:44, Maciej Mrozowski wrote:
2 > On Friday 10 of June 2011 20:08:00 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 >> On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 16:37:46 -0500
4 >>
5 >> Matthew Summers <quantumsummers@g.o> wrote:
6 >>> After consultation and discussion at length with several developers, I
7 >>> am writing to announce the impending revival of the tool known as
8 >>> app-admin/webapp-config effective immediately.
9 >>
10 >> You might want to chuck it out and start from scratch...
11 >>
12 >> Much of the difficulty with the original webapp-config was that it was
13 >> designed to work on Windows. Stuart's plan was to create a distribution
14 >> and operating system independent way of dealing with web apps, sort of
15 >> like CPAN; Gentoo was merely the testbed. If your goals don't match
16 >> that, you're probably better rethinking everything than trying to revive
17 >> something that was designed for a completely different purpose.
18 >
19 > Also, for pure Gentoo needs it may be better to replace webapp-config with
20 > package manager and eclasses.
21 How does that handle multiple installs etc.?
22
23 > So to install web apps to /usr/share or sth and provide apache config files to
24 > set up those webapps like Debian does for instance
25
26 ZOMG NOES.
27 That stuff is horrible, it randomly patches the webserver config
28 wrongly, then restarts the webserver - so installing nagios knocks out
29 your apache. Which then makes for some funny debugging ...
30
31 Let's aim higher than that, please, I don't want random misbehaviour :)
32
33 - so dispatch-conf would be
34 > utilized for tracking config file modifications and uninstall via unmerge
35 >
36 > One major obstacle is that we have quite a number of web servers to support if
37 > we're to provide out of the box experience for those web apps.
38 >
39 So provide a default config for, say, apache, and then figure out if
40 that can be transcribed to others easily. Maybe it can be turned into
41 simple templates to generate all configs from?
44 Patrick Lauer http://service.gentooexperimental.org
45
46 Gentoo Council Member and Evangelist
47 Part of Gentoo Benchmarks, Forensics, PostgreSQL, KDE herds