From: Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reviving webapp-config
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 23:45:45
1 On Friday 10 of June 2011 20:08:00 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 16:37:46 -0500
3 >
4 > Matthew Summers <quantumsummers@g.o> wrote:
5 > > After consultation and discussion at length with several developers, I
6 > > am writing to announce the impending revival of the tool known as
7 > > app-admin/webapp-config effective immediately.
8 >
9 > You might want to chuck it out and start from scratch...
10 >
11 > Much of the difficulty with the original webapp-config was that it was
12 > designed to work on Windows. Stuart's plan was to create a distribution
13 > and operating system independent way of dealing with web apps, sort of
14 > like CPAN; Gentoo was merely the testbed. If your goals don't match
15 > that, you're probably better rethinking everything than trying to revive
16 > something that was designed for a completely different purpose.
17
18 Also, for pure Gentoo needs it may be better to replace webapp-config with
19 package manager and eclasses.
20 So to install web apps to /usr/share or sth and provide apache config files to
21 set up those webapps like Debian does for instance - so dispatch-conf would be
22 utilized for tracking config file modifications and uninstall via unmerge
23
24 One major obstacle is that we have quite a number of web servers to support if
25 we're to provide out of the box experience for those web apps.
28 regards
29 MM