From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in sys-cluster/pvfs2: ChangeLog pvfs2-2.6.3-r1.ebuild
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 22:07:55
1 Matti Bickel wrote:
2
3 > Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 >> >> > Mixing 'gt' and 'ge' is a bad idea.
5 >> >>
6 >> >> Just outa curiosity, why?
7 >> >
8 >> > Because it's inconsistent and one generally assumes that people will be
9 >> > consistent with the way they test numbers. That way you only need to
10 >> > read the number rather than continually checking every single line to
11 >> > see how exactly it's tested for.
12 >> >
13 >> I don't see how this is inconsistent either: two tests are needed, so
14 >> that both patches are only applied for >=2.6.22 and first only if
15 >> >2.6.20.
16 >
17 > The point is that if you stick to "ge" OR "gt", everyone could just skip
18 > reading the comparison and focus on the numbers. Will be fixed in the
19 > next release, along with kernel-2.4 support...
20 >
21 OIC: so the argument was it should be ge 2.6.21 as well? Does that catch all
22 the same cases?
23
24 I must say I find this criticism unusual: if someone were looking at the
25 ebuild to check the numbers, I would guess it were because something was
26 going wrong. As such, they would be paying attention to which version they
27 were on, and what the tests were. I don't see the use-case for limiting
28 what maintainers can do in such a fashion, but if it makes no difference to
29 the outcome (ie which cases are covered), i guess it makes sense.
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list