From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: williamh@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Assigning keyword/stable bugs to arch teams (WAS: [gentoo-dev] dropping redundant stable keywords)
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 08:06:13
1 On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 19:05:56 -0600
2 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 12:37:03AM +0100, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
5 > > On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 16:53:22 -0600
6 > > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > The problem with this is, what if it is more than one arch team?
9 > > > Which one do you assign it to?
10 > >
11 > > Oh the fun we had in the past when bugs got assigned to one arch
12 > > team with a few others CC'd and no maintainer in sight (because
13 > > maybe the maintainer was the reporter, or was blanky assumed to be
14 > > known). Or when another arch alias got CC'd later on. Or when a
15 > > maintainer got fed up waiting and reassigned to an arch team in a
16 > > "rage quit". And so on. It makes very messy bug reports. Musical
17 > > chairs, anyone?
18 > >
19 > > > If we want a separate assignee for old stabilizations, what about
20 > > > a separate project that handles this, or maybe we could assign
21 > > > the bugs to m-n or something until the arch teams catch up?
22 > >
23 > > Again, where is the man power for that? :-)
24 >
25 > Agreed, I was just trying to find a middle ground to satisfy the other
26 > side of this.
27
28 You've already did that with the very first post of your thread; this
29 question however can be interpreted as either the given or the problem,
30 I'd prefer the former as the latter would make this thread something
31 that wouldn't have taken place.
32
33 > > It's the maintainers that this problem hurts most, so they could and
34 > > should be fixing it themselves - after a few months of waiting,
35 > > reminding arch teams and gritting your teeth over it, just remove
36 > > the old stable ebuilds[1].
37 >
38 > Agreed, all the way. this is a real problem for package maintainers
39 > when arch teams are so understaffed they can't keep up.
40 >
41 > Also, it does a disservice to our users for us to claim we have stable
42 > trees on these arches when the stable packages are multiple versions
43 > behind the maintainer's stable requests.
44
45 +1, on top of that it is further behind what upstream considers stable;
46 alongside that comes the drop in upstream support and bug filing, as
47 the old version could be considered unsupported by upstream.
50 With kind regards,
51
52 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
53 Gentoo Developer
54
55 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
56 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
57 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D