From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Assigning keyword/stable bugs to arch teams (WAS: [gentoo-dev] dropping redundant stable keywords)
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 01:05:44
1 On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 12:37:03AM +0100, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
2 > On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 16:53:22 -0600
3 > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > The problem with this is, what if it is more than one arch team? Which
6 > > one do you assign it to?
7 >
8 > Oh the fun we had in the past when bugs got assigned to one arch team
9 > with a few others CC'd and no maintainer in sight (because maybe the
10 > maintainer was the reporter, or was blanky assumed to be known). Or when
11 > another arch alias got CC'd later on. Or when a maintainer got fed up
12 > waiting and reassigned to an arch team in a "rage quit". And so on. It
13 > makes very messy bug reports. Musical chairs, anyone?
14 >
15 > > If we want a separate assignee for old stabilizations, what about a
16 > > separate project that handles this, or maybe we could assign the bugs
17 > > to m-n or something until the arch teams catch up?
18 >
19 > Again, where is the man power for that? :-)
20
21 Agreed, I was just trying to find a middle ground to satisfy the other
22 side of this.
23
24 > It's the maintainers that this problem hurts most, so they could and
25 > should be fixing it themselves - after a few months of waiting,
26 > reminding arch teams and gritting your teeth over it, just remove the
27 > old stable ebuilds[1].
28
29 Agreed, all the way. this is a real problem for package maintainers when
30 arch teams are so understaffed they can't keep up.
31
32 Also, it does a disservice to our users for us to claim we have stable
33 trees on these arches when the stable packages are multiple versions
34 behind the maintainer's stable requests.
35
36 William
37
38 > jer
41 > [1] Where possible. If this happens with non-dev, non-experimental
42 > architectures and keeping the old ebuilds is a real problem, the
43 > architecture's status should be reconsidered. As has been done on
44 > this mailing list time and again. If an arch team cannot even be
45 > bothered to keep @system up to date, then why bother pretending
46 > it's anywhere near "stable"?