From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Assigning keyword/stable bugs to arch teams (WAS: [gentoo-dev] dropping redundant stable keywords)
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 23:37:14
1 On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 16:53:22 -0600
2 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > The problem with this is, what if it is more than one arch team? Which
5 > one do you assign it to?
6
7 Oh the fun we had in the past when bugs got assigned to one arch team
8 with a few others CC'd and no maintainer in sight (because maybe the
9 maintainer was the reporter, or was blanky assumed to be known). Or when
10 another arch alias got CC'd later on. Or when a maintainer got fed up
11 waiting and reassigned to an arch team in a "rage quit". And so on. It
12 makes very messy bug reports. Musical chairs, anyone?
13
14 > If we want a separate assignee for old stabilizations, what about a
15 > separate project that handles this, or maybe we could assign the bugs
16 > to m-n or something until the arch teams catch up?
17
18 Again, where is the man power for that? :-)
19
20 It's the maintainers that this problem hurts most, so they could and
21 should be fixing it themselves - after a few months of waiting,
22 reminding arch teams and gritting your teeth over it, just remove the
23 old stable ebuilds[1].
26 jer
29 [1] Where possible. If this happens with non-dev, non-experimental
30 architectures and keeping the old ebuilds is a real problem, the
31 architecture's status should be reconsidered. As has been done on
32 this mailing list time and again. If an arch team cannot even be
33 bothered to keep @system up to date, then why bother pretending
34 it's anywhere near "stable"?