From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: moving OpenRC to a meson-based build
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2017 09:32:46
1 On 02/03/2017 10:10 AM, Benda Xu wrote:
2 > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> writes:
3 >
4 >> I have been looking at the meson build system [1] [2], and I like what I
5 >> see.
6 >>
7 >> I have opened an issue on OpenRC's github wrt migrating OpenRC to the
8 >> meson build system [3].
9 >>
10 >> As I said on the bug, the downside is the addition of py3 and ninja as
11 >> build time dependencies, but I think the upside (a build system where
12 >> we don't have to worry about parallel make issues or portability)
13 >> outweighs that.
14 >>
15 >> What do folks think here?
16 >
17 > I would discourage it. Making OpenRC build-depend on python introduces
18 > unnecessary complexity that will undermine the portability of OpenRC
19 > sooner or later.
20 >
21 > After all OpenRC is a small program easy to build with a hand-written
22 > Makefile.
23 >
24 > Parallel make issues? No problem let's just solve it.
27 > Please, keep it simple.
28
29 I'm adding my support to this sentiment
33 Kristian Fiskerstrand
34 OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
35 fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3