From: Hasan Khalil <gongloo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Drivers/Portage
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 12:39:49
1 Me too! Me too! (See below for inline responses).
2 -Hasan
3
4 Martin Owens wrote:
5
6 > it's not about auto detection / auto configuration. it's about information
7 > gathering and resources
8
9 I wholeheartedly agree with this -- setting up a system that would tell
10 us about our hardware automatically would be sweet. Whether we use that
11 system to later then autoconfigure it is a different story, and should
12 obviously be a disable-able feature. But what's important is me being
13 able to plug something in, and finding out right away if anyone else has
14 ever been able to get the hardware to work under Linux <my version
15 here>, or at all under any Linux version, perhaps with user comments on
16 how they got it to work. I envision this much like a wiki (I don't mean
17 to say that a wiki is the answer!) on which our 'autodetect' program
18 looks up information for a particular piece of hardware.
19
20 > The most important part is creating/generating unique id's for hardware that
21 > you can match the information up to.
22
23 Doesn't this more or less exist with pretty much any hardware interface
24 (PCI vendor/device id's come to mind for PCI, etc.)?
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list