From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Gentoo GPG key policies
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 03:33:50
1 On 03/14/2013 11:18 PM, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 10:32:30PM -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
3 >>> As to how to accomplish this, it's either a throwaway sig, or poking the
4 >>> agent protocol directly.
5 >> The only trouble with that is if the agent is configured to only unlock
6 >> keys for limited periods of time, then your initial check might catch
7 >> the agent when the key is still unlocked, but your subsequent call to
8 >> GPG comes after the timeout. I ran into this while trying to set up
9 >> automated signing of debian packages I was building.
10 > So Debian has a test-gpg function already? Do you know where in their
11 > codebase it is?
12
13 No idea; a build system I'd cobbled together at the time prodded
14 gpg-agent to get an interactive auth. The build-and-package step took
15 too long, leading to the timeout. And I apologize; I don't remember
16 exactly what I was doing to prod gpg-agent, and since it was for a prior
17 job, I did not retain any copies of any of the materials.
20 >> All it really means, in a practical procedural sense, is that you need
21 >> to allow yourself a way to roll back anything you've been doing if that
22 >> later check fails.
23 > I think we'd do:
24 > - All repoman checks
25 > - initial file editing
26 > if two-phase commit:
27 > - test gpg
28 > - commit1
29 > - gpg sign
30 > - commit2
31 > if one-phase commit:
32 > - gpg test
33 > - gpg sign
34 > - commit1
35 >
36 > Unless commit1 took a really long time, the interval between the gpg
37 > calls should be very small.
40 Murphy's going to call in a long I/O hang somewhere. Race conditions are
41 hell manifest in systems.
42
43 Since I haven't been paying close attention to this thread, I'm missing
44 some context, but if you're commit1 and commit2 apply to a DVCS, you're
45 probably fine so long as you don't do a push between commit1 and
46 commit2, don't do a push if any earlier step failed, and do all this in
47 a temporary branch that never (as a branch) gets pushed upstream.
48
49 If you're not applying to a DVCS, then you risk interleaving commit1 and
50 commit2 with others' work anyway.