From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Switching order of packages in virtual/pkgconfig
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2013 16:25:26
1 Rich Freeman schrieb:
2 > Double-standards aside, I don't think the "original" implementation is
3 > what matters, so much as what works best for our users (and ourselves)
4 > in practice.
5
6 I don't think the "original" matters either. But I wouldn't mind having
7 libusb over libusbx, jpeg over libjpeg-turbo (did you notice any speed
8 increase on your computer?), openoffice(-bin) over libreoffice.
9
10 Only if one implementation is vastly better than the alternative, then I
11 would expect the distro to make the sane choice. Else it can be choosen
12 randomly during each install for what I care.
13
14 > Others have pointed out that we don't have enough data to safely
15 > switch the default, and I think that alone is sufficient reason to
16 > hold off for now, but once that data is collected if it makes sense to
17 > switch we should do so. We don't use XFree86 or LILO,
18
19 Using LILO is still documented as an alternative to GRUB:
20 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=10#doc_chap3
23 Best regards,
24 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn