From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Switching order of packages in virtual/pkgconfig
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2013 15:54:18
1 On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
2 > Samuli Suominen wrote:
3 >> i'd say never. there is no benefit in switching. pkg-config is the
4 >> default implementation from freedesktop.org.
5 >
6 > That's one awful double standard. :\
7
8 Double-standards aside, I don't think the "original" implementation is
9 what matters, so much as what works best for our users (and ourselves)
10 in practice. Others have pointed out that we don't have enough data
11 to safely switch the default, and I think that alone is sufficient
12 reason to hold off for now, but once that data is collected if it
13 makes sense to switch we should do so.
14
15 We don't use XFree86 or LILO, and quite a few are eager to drop udev.
16 The important thing is to offer users meaningful choices, and make the
17 default whatever makes the most sense at the time we set it.
18
19 Rich