From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Switching order of packages in virtual/pkgconfig
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2013 16:08:03
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > >> i'd say never. there is no benefit in switching. pkg-config is the
3 > >> default implementation from freedesktop.org.
4 > >
5 > > That's one awful double standard. :\
6 >
7 > Double-standards aside, I don't think the "original" implementation is
8 > what matters, so much as what works best for our users (and ourselves)
9 > in practice.
10
11 Sure thing! I agree with that, that is a pragmatic approach.
14 > Others have pointed out that we don't have enough data to safely
15 > switch the default
16
17 A good point.
20 > once that data is collected if it makes sense to switch we should
21 > do so.
22
23 I think that is fair, along with..
26 > We don't use XFree86 or LILO, and quite a few are eager to drop udev.
27 > The important thing is to offer users meaningful choices, and make the
28 > default whatever makes the most sense at the time we set it.
29
30 ..always being open to re-evaluate and change the default again, if
31 that makes the most sense at a later time.
34 //Peter
35
36 PS. I for one would actually prefer LILO to be the Gentoo default. :)