From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] unsanctioned python 2.7 crusade
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2019 14:24:43
1 On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 8:59 AM Jason A. Donenfeld <zx2c4@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > It's quite another to mask random packages that have USE flags to
4 > optionally support whatever python 2.7 library. If you're going to
5 > last rites these, talk with the maintainer first, and only then, send
6 > emails one at a time. Doing that en masse isn't appropriate.
7
8 ++ - I have no idea if that happened. For anything USE-controlled it
9 would make more sense to file a bug or mask the package-flag combo
10 itself.
13 > On another topic, I'd prefer for python 2.7 not to be removed from
14 > gentoo. Tons of code still uses it.
17 I'm sure a million people would share that preference. I'm not sure
18 what the upstream/security status is of 2.7. Obviously to keep it
19 around it would need to be reasonably secure, and somebody within
20 Gentoo would have to want to maintain it. That's basically the
21 criteria for keeping anything like this around. If somebody stepped
22 up and said "I'm maintaining 2.7 and here is why it will remain
23 secure..." I doubt they'd get a lot of resistance.
26 Rich