From: Marko Mikulicic <marko@××××.org>
To: Shanon Loveridge <shanon_loveridge@××××××××.uk>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo perffered File system
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 06:16:36
1 Shanon Loveridge wrote:
2 > I was wondering now that it doesn't look like XFS is
3 > the preffered filesystem to gentoo (Not in gentoo
4 > sources and it doesn't look like it will go into the
5 > standard kernel) what is the preffered / recommended
6 > filesystem for gentoo?
7
8 I use XFS because I like acls and feel not confortable with ext3 + acl patch
9 (maybe I'm wrong). XFS works well. (there are a couple of glitches in
10 reporting errors
11 "preserving permissions", but probably it will be the same with ext[23]
12 acl).
13 I use "2.4.18-xfs".
14
15 There's no thing like Gentoo "default" kernel. You must
16 choose the kernel during installation.
17 The so called "gentoo" kernel is a pached and powered kernel, choosen to
18 offer more features than vanilla kernel, but not required in order to
19 execute the
20 Gentoo distribution.
21
22 Unfortunally, the preemptive kernel patch conflicts with current
23 version of XFS,
24 and may cause data curruption. I don't know if just disabling the
25 complile-time
26 option in the gentoo-patched kernel will allow xfs to run (I wouln't try
27 it out on
28 a production machine :-). You will probably have to use the xfs-sources
29 kernel, but
30 you will not have all the goodies a gentoo-patched kernel will have, but
31 it works well.
32
33 The issues of the gentoo kernels are identical thoughout the linux
34 community
35 because the kernel *is* Linux and it's identical in all linux
36 distribution. Gentoo
37 gives you more freedom in choosing the kernel, and the filesystem.
38
39 Look at the kernel ebuild files in /usr/portage/sys-kernel/*
40 in some ebuilds you will see the list of patches that will be applied to
41 that kernel.
42
43 What filesystem do you like more?
44
45 Does anyone use ext3 + acl ?
46 Does anyone depend on the goodies in gentoo-kernel (vfat symlinks, EVMS,
47 preemptive kernel....), in production systems ?
48
49 Regards,
50 Marko