From: Seth Mos <knuffie@××××××.nl>
To: Marko Mikulicic <marko@××××.org>, Shanon Loveridge <shanon_loveridge@××××××××.uk>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo perffered File system
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 02:08:18
1 At 13:16 8-8-2002 +0200, Marko Mikulicic wrote:
2
3 >I use XFS because I like acls and feel not confortable with ext3 + acl patch
4 >(maybe I'm wrong). XFS works well. (there are a couple of glitches in
5 >reporting errors
6 >"preserving permissions", but probably it will be the same with ext[23] acl).
7 >I use "2.4.18-xfs".
8
9 You might do wise in checking the newer acl tools and xfs patches. The work
10 is ongoing.
11 Is this a 2.4.18-xfs from CVS or the split patches?
12
13 We just released the 2.4.19 split patches although there are some small
14 problems cropping up that might prove to be wiser to get CVS (which has a
15 fix merged).
16
17 > Unfortunally, the preemptive kernel patch conflicts with current version
18 > of XFS,
19 >and may cause data curruption. I don't know if just disabling the
20 >complile-time
21 >option in the gentoo-patched kernel will allow xfs to run (I wouln't try
22 >it out on
23 >a production machine :-). You will probably have to use the xfs-sources
24 >kernel, but
25 >you will not have all the goodies a gentoo-patched kernel will have, but
26 >it works well.
27
28 AFAIK that bug got fixed some time ago in 2.4.18 although it is not
29 "supported". Another option would be checking out the 2.4.19-aa tree which
30 has some VM fixes/tuneups etc.
31
32 Cheers
36 Seth
37 It might just be your lucky day, if you only knew.