From: waltdnes@××××××××.org
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Global USE=gui
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2016 20:38:11
1 On Thu, Jun 02, 2016 at 04:25:07PM -0400, Ian Stakenvicius wrote
2 > On 02/06/16 03:42 PM, waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
3 > > On Thu, Jun 02, 2016 at 09:31:11AM -0400, Damien Levac wrote
4 > >>
5 > >> IMHO, you see this in reverse. the 'gui' useflag would be useful for
6 > >> users who don't want to care about X/wayland/mir and do not want to care
7 > >> about gtk/qt, they just want windows to be drawn for the applications
8 > >> they install -- without, if possible, pulling useless dependencies.
9 > >
10 > > How, exactly, will the app draw windows without linking against one of
11 > > X/wayland/mir/qt4/qt5/gtk2/gtk3/fltk or whatever else comes down the
12 > > pike?
15 > The "useless dependencies" is the result of one or more of these
16 > random flags being enabled globally when an end-user just wants to
17 > make sure they get the GUI built for their apps.
18
19 The original discussion was about global defaults. If you want
20 per-app settings, package.use is your friend.
23 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
24 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications