From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: waltdnes@××××××××.org
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Global USE=gui
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2016 20:46:34
1 On Thu, 2 Jun 2016 16:37:58 -0400
2 waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, Jun 02, 2016 at 04:25:07PM -0400, Ian Stakenvicius wrote
5 > > On 02/06/16 03:42 PM, waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
6 > > > On Thu, Jun 02, 2016 at 09:31:11AM -0400, Damien Levac wrote
7 > > >>
8 > > >> IMHO, you see this in reverse. the 'gui' useflag would be useful for
9 > > >> users who don't want to care about X/wayland/mir and do not want to care
10 > > >> about gtk/qt, they just want windows to be drawn for the applications
11 > > >> they install -- without, if possible, pulling useless dependencies.
12 > > >
13 > > > How, exactly, will the app draw windows without linking against one of
14 > > > X/wayland/mir/qt4/qt5/gtk2/gtk3/fltk or whatever else comes down the
15 > > > pike?
16 > > >
17 > >
18 > > The "useless dependencies" is the result of one or more of these
19 > > random flags being enabled globally when an end-user just wants to
20 > > make sure they get the GUI built for their apps.
21 >
22 > The original discussion was about global defaults. If you want
23 > per-app settings, package.use is your friend.
24
25 I'm going to keep this short: please try to understand that not
26 everyone can spend hours of time adjusting every single package
27 in Gentoo so that it may finally start working as expected.
28
29 We understand that some people have goals like 'I want Qt everywhere,
30 I hate GTK+ so much I'd rather not be able to do anything than have
31 GTK+ on my system'. We respect them. But we're no longer going to
32 optimize Gentoo for those people.
35 Best regards,
36 Michał Górny
37 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>