From: AllenJB <gentoo-lists@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC:sys-apps/portage @overlay atoms postfix support
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 15:36:39
1 lxnay@××××××××××××.org wrote:
4 > On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 3:43 PM, Alex Legler <a3li@g.o> wrote:
5 >> On So, 2009-05-24 at 20:04 +0200, lxnay@××××××××××××.org wrote:
6 >>> [...]
7 >>> >> app-admin/equo (sabayon overlay -- Entropy Framework client) supports
8 >>> >> the postfix "@repository" to let users force the installation of a
9 >>> >> package from a specific repository.
10 >>> >
11 >>> > @ is used by Portage for sets. Paludis has been using ::repo for repo
12 >>> > dependencies for years. Why not go with the established syntax?
13 >>>
14 >>> I wrote "postfix" not "prefix". Sets use "@" prefix.
15 >>
16 >> Your @ is still a prefix for the repository name.
17 >
18 > Yeah but "emerge @overlay" would be obviously illegal. So your argument
19 > is a bit pointless ;)
22 >> For usability's sake, please don't do this. I can imagine users getting
23 >> confused over the different meanings of the @ sign.
24 >>
25 >> I do not want to trigger a discussion like the one PHP had when choosing
26 >> namespace separators, but we got the "::" established in Paludis and
27 >> Paludis is used by way more Gentoo people than equo.
28 >
29 > "::" C++/PHP/whatever separator has nothing to do with the purpose of
30 > "@overlay".
31 Personally I think the PHP namespace syntax issue is a very good
32 analogy. There's an established syntax, even if it's not a written
33 standard, already used in a very similar situation, and that should be
34 taken into account.
35
36 > Paludis is not a Gentoo project and doesn't follow Gentoo features
37 > validation rules.
38 > So is Entropy. If Paludis has its own syntax it doesn't automatically
39 > mean that Gentoo Portage *has to* follow it.
40 > I prefer a more democratic way => discussing here.
41
42 As far as I can see, a discussion is happening. You started a discussion
43 here and others mentioned that there is a specific syntax already used
44 for this by a very similar application.
45
46 You appear to be the only one who's arguing against that syntax. As a
47 user, I have to agree that using @ for multiple purposes, even if it
48 can't be applied to the same purposes in different locations, is
49 potentially confusing, even if not just plain silly.
50
51 As a side note, I think I've read somewhere that it may in the future be
52 possible to specify sets in package.* (which I assume would be done
53 using the @set-name syntax), but can't remember where off-hand. This may
54 have just been a suggestion, but if it ever is implemented, it would
55 surely add to the confusion.
56
57 AllenJB
61 >> So it only seems logical to me to use the wider-known and at the same
62 >> time ambiguity-free "operator".
63 >>
64 >> Alex