From: Steven J Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC:sys-apps/portage @overlay atoms postfix support
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 08:20:54
1 AllenJB wrote:
2
3 > lxnay@××××××××××××.org wrote:
6 >> On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 3:43 PM, Alex Legler <a3li@g.o> wrote:
7 >>> For usability's sake, please don't do this. I can imagine users getting
8 >>> confused over the different meanings of the @ sign.
9 >>>
10 > Personally I think the PHP namespace syntax issue is a very good
11 > analogy. There's an established syntax, even if it's not a written
12 > standard, already used in a very similar situation, and that should be
13 > taken into account.
14 >
15 Why can't we just use the cleanest syntax, irrespective of what external
16 projects do? Surely that's the point of standing back and facilitating their
17 use of the tree; so that we can decide what and *how* would be useful for
18 all Gentoo users.
19
20 > You appear to be the only one who's arguing against that syntax. As a
21 > user, I have to agree that using @ for multiple purposes, even if it
22 > can't be applied to the same purposes in different locations, is
23 > potentially confusing, even if not just plain silly.
24 >
25 > As a side note, I think I've read somewhere that it may in the future be
26 > possible to specify sets in package.* (which I assume would be done
27 > using the @set-name syntax), but can't remember where off-hand. This may
28 > have just been a suggestion, but if it ever is implemented, it would
29 > surely add to the confusion.
30 >
31 I don't see the ambiguity; it's perfectly unambiguous to a lexer, and
32 immediately apparent to a user too. If it's got an @ at the beginning, it's
33 a set name. If an atom has an @ after the package name (and possibly version
34 etc) it means "from that overlay."
35
36 Note that I think we can use the syntax elsewhere, without ambiguity.
37
38 Surely it would be best simply to ask end-users which of a few variants
39 they'd find easiest to work with? Or indeed for their suggestions; after
40 all, they spend a lot more time engaging with the cli/config files than we
41 do.
44 #friendly-coders -- We're friendly but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)