From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC:sys-apps/portage @overlay atoms postfix support
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 13:04:39
1 Steven J Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> posted
2 2115173.05GpC6T6bt@××××××××××××××××××××.info, excerpted below, on Tue, 02
3 Jun 2009 09:18:54 +0100:
4
5 > Surely it would be best simply to ask end-users which of a few variants
6 > they'd find easiest to work with? Or indeed for their suggestions; after
7 > all, they spend a lot more time engaging with the cli/config files than
8 > we do.
9
10 For this end-user, @ means set. Using it at a location other than the
11 beginning for something else is possible and I'd adapt, but it /is/
12 confusing.
13
14 :: lacks that confusion. It does have the additional complication of
15 needing quoted or escaped in the shell, but users are supposed to do a
16 --pretend anyway, and after it doesn't output what's expected, a user of
17 any shell experience at all should conclude with little delay that it
18 /could/ be the escaping even if they aren't sure, and a quick suitably
19 escaped trial will confirm it.
20
21 So either proposed solution has its caveat that users will ultimately
22 need to learn to deal with, but I still prefer the unambiguity of ::.
27 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman