From: Max Kalika <max@g.o>
To: Tom Payne <twp@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Hardened PHP now in Gentoo
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 00:10:14
1 Quoting Tom Payne <twp@g.o>:
2
3 > Ooops, my bad. Thanks for the clarification. I guess I'm trying to work
4 > out "if I want hardened gentoo, do I always want hardened php?" and vice
5 > versa, as would be implied by the two having the same USE flag. To me,
6 > hardening the system vs. hardening a web scripting language are two
7 > separate things (i.e. you could want one without the other) but I haven't
8 > yet come up with a convincing argument for this :-)
9
10 It's not too different than saying "do I want ssl support in postfix and
11 not in php?" In either case, if you want a certain package to disable a
12 global USE flag, just plop the following into /etc/portage/package.use
13
14 >=dev-php/php-4* -hardened
17 max kalika
18 .. public key: http://www.gentoo.org/~max/max.asc
19 .. fingerprint: 2D59 74B5 8785 3C22 74F2 87B0 6DD4 E810 CBC3 AB79