From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] useless set*id binaries
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 01:55:13
1 On Friday 27 January 2012 20:28:04 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
2 > Mike Frysinger schrieb:
3 > > along these lines, why is cdrtools set*id ? if we have a "cdrom" group,
4 > > and we assign our cdroms/dvdroms to that group, then we already have
5 > > access control in place and can skip the set*id.
6 >
7 > From the manpage, "In order to be able to use the SCSI transport
8 > subsystem of the OS, run at highest priority and lock itself into core
9 > cdrecord either needs to be run as root, needs to be installed suid root
10 > or must be called via RBACs pfexec mechanism."
11 >
12 > I guess with the advent of burnfree technology, the priority and locking
13 > into memory have become less important.
14
15 yeah, i would think if your system is loaded enough for this to be an issue,
16 it's going to be an issue anyways. but i'd image mlock/rtprio could be
17 enabled via pam and security/limits.conf for the cdrom group.
18
19 > The cdrom group will give access to /dev/sr* but not the associated
20 > /dev/sg*
21
22 yes, it does:
23 $ find -L /dev/* -maxdepth 0 -gid 19