From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] useless set*id binaries
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 01:29:21
1 Mike Frysinger schrieb:
2 > along these lines, why is cdrtools set*id ? if we have a "cdrom" group, and
3 > we assign our cdroms/dvdroms to that group, then we already have access
4 > control in place and can skip the set*id.
5 > -mike
6 From the manpage, "In order to be able to use the SCSI transport
7 subsystem of the OS, run at highest priority and lock itself into core
8 cdrecord either needs to be run as root, needs to be installed suid root
9 or must be called via RBACs pfexec mechanism."
10
11 I guess with the advent of burnfree technology, the priority and locking
12 into memory have become less important.
13
14 The cdrom group will give access to /dev/sr* but not the associated /dev/sg*
17 Best regards,
18 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn