From: Toby Dickenson <tdickenson@××××××××××××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revisiting GLEP 19
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 14:53:41
1 On Tuesday 20 July 2004 23:50, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 11:06:15PM +0100 or thereabouts, Stuart Herbert
3 wrote:
4 > > > 4/ we will need to have a policy about how long we'll support a profile,
5 > > > and a procedure for end-of-lifing profiles. (probably don't want to
6 > > > support a single profile for more than 2 years)
7 > >
8 > > Not *less* than 2 years, I'd have thought. Some commercial systems are
9 > > supported for 5 or even 10 years.
10 >
11 > For a community distribution, I personally believe 2 years is more than
12 > sufficient. I'd even say 12-18 months is reasonable.
13 >
14 > I don't think we have the resources to maintain things for 5-10 years.
15
16 Even if we dont maintain or support versions older than a year, I would like
17 to see the old enterprise ebuilds available in enterprise portage for at
18 least 2 years if not longer. It is important to be able to reproduce a
19 production system, bugs and all.
20
21 fwiw, I still regularly emerge ebuilds from my November 2002 snapshot, and
22 dont plan on retiring this system soon.
25 Toby Dickenson
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list