From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A few questions to our nominees
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 11:22:10
1 Denis Dupeyron wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 12:45 PM, Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Before the flames start lets consider the Package Manager Specification
4 >> (PMS) as an example. For this (very black and white) illustration,
5 >> forget the council discussions to date and imagine that representatives
6 >> of all three package managers went to council and said in unison
7 >> "We have agreed this specification".
8 >> Are council really going to start picking holes in it and say no?
9 >
10 > The council being our global technical lead, I can't see why they
11 > wouldn't be allowed to reject an agreed package manager specification
12 > or parts of it. If not, why bother electing them at all ? Not that I
13 > think that would be a smart move, but that's a different discussion.
16 Well, obviously there is a balance here, but one thing that Roy pointed
17 out that I completely agree with is the need to have most of the
18 discussion BEFORE the meeting.
19
20 A council meeting is a very time-limited event which is really designed
21 to officially ratify decisions that have essentially already been made.
22 The best place to have open discussion and debate over an issue is on
23 mailing lists/etc - this allows the widest possible community to
24 participate, and gives people time to consider their decisions. Policy
25 shouldn't be decided by what the best shoot-from-the-hip argument was at
26 a 1 hour meeting.
27
28 Maybe if an item is on the agenda and it doesn't really have consensus
29 there is some value to 5 minutes of free discussion, followed by a delay
30 for one month to hash it out on lists/etc.
31
32 For the most part I think the current council has embraced this,
33 although most of the discussion on lists do not involve council members
34 themselves (though they clearly follow the discussions).
35 --
36 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list