From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoostats, SoC 2011
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 09:04:57
1 Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
2 >
3 > I've picked this message as I want to address one point in this thread
4 > that was focused on this sub-thread.
5 > I disagree with the idea that adding an application to the Gentoo tree
6 > that collects data from users and sends it to a central (or distributed)
7 > system is the same as adding any other application to the tree.
8 > Having the ability to add ebuilds to the tree is part of what you gain
9 > by getting gentoo-x86 access. Issues with significant users privacy
10 > concerns and substantial changes like adding packages to the tree that
11 > collect data from users and compile it, should not be at the discretion
12 > of individual developers but be subject of global policies that should
13 > take into account the legal ramifications (trustees) and reflect the
14 > developers desire and goals (council).
15 >
16 > - --
17 > Regards,
18 >
19 > Jorge Vicetto (jmbsvicetto) - jmbsvicetto at gentoo dot org
20 > Gentoo- forums / Userrel / Devrel / KDE / Elections / RelEng
23 Just picking a message to reply to at random here. Sorry Jorge, I
24 thought common sense would kick in way before now.
25
26 As a user, if ANY distro starts collecting data about me without my
27 consent, I would be looking for something else to use. For people to
28 even think that users want someone snooping on them is rather presumptuous.
29
30 I have to also agree with the legal problems as well. Doing this
31 without the users consent is going to lead to a huge legal mess. It
32 would also taint Gentoo and Linux in general if this were to happen.
33 Anyone who thinks it won't needs to talk to a lawyer and some common
34 folks really soon.
35
36 As a user, if this was done without my consent, saying I would be pissed
37 would be to mild a term but one I am willing to use on a public forum.
38 As a example, I have DirecTv. It has no connection other than the
39 satellite cable. No telephone or anything. I don't want them snooping
40 on what I watch on TV either. I also don't care to have Gentoo
41 collecting data on what I use or other data either. If I wanted that, I
42 could just use M$ stuff. I would expect such things from them and the
43 huge EULA they have.
44
45 Back to my hole.
46