From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GCC 4.7 unmasking
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 22:26:15
1 On 25/02/13 22:32, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 4:18 PM, Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Though people that use -ffast-math / -fLTO / -fuse-linker-plugin should
4 >> be on their own, thus I drop -ffast-math because it breaks my browser;
5 >> but that doesn't mean that those ricer flags should stop stabilization.
6 >
7 > If we're talking about for general use in CFLAGs clearly -ffast-math
8 > isn't something that even could be supported if we wanted to. The
9 > flag is just not intended for general use.
10
11 And if you stop here everything would be agreeable.
12
13 > That isn't the same as saying that we can just break it in cases where
14 > it actually is appropriate. Calculating scroll bar movement is
15 > exactly the sort of thing that this flag was actually designed for -
16 > you don't care if it is off by 1/100th of a pixel.
17
18 Please check your facts. using -ffast-math could do anything from
19 nothing to cause severe security issues.
20
21 > But, the way to track that sort of a thing is to log those as bugs
22 > against appropriate use within individual apps and make them blockers.
23
24 No.
25
26 > I'd consider things like this valid bugs - but whether they hold
27 > things up should depend on real-world impact. I'm not sure how bad
28 > the impact on chromium actually is.
29
30 Absolutely not. Some code is _designed_ to work w/out caring about ieee
31 corner cases and some is _designed_ to work leveraging them.
32
33 NOT bug.
34
35 To reinstate: if you use -ffast-math or other
36 known-to-alter-the-standard-behaviour or, even worst, experimental flags
37 you are on your own.
38
39 lu