From: Luke-Jr <luke-jr@g.o>
To: camio@×××××.com, David Sankel <sankeld@×××××××××××××.net>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some suggestions
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 00:05:12
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On Saturday 06 September 2003 06:05 pm, David Sankel wrote:
5 > 1) etc-update changes for a more automated system update
6 >
7 > etc-update allows you to automatically update (noted) etc files that one
8 > never changed from their last emerge. This could save a lot of
9 > maintenance time if it was put in a cron job to routinely do that after
10 > an "emerge sync;emerge -u world"
11 > The user then wouldn't have to look at all of the etc files to see
12 > if they were changed after every "emerge sync; emerge-u world".
13 I agree. etc-update should, at very least, check modify dates on files and if
14 they haven't been changed, simply replace them...
15 >
16 > 2) make.conf updates to be more automated
17 >
18 > Most gentoo users, I believe, modify this file. This specific file changes
19 > quite often with updates. Since most users only modify the "USE" and
20 > "CFLAGS" components, having an update that is automatic is plausible. This
21 > feature is a trade off between the integrity and consistency of the system
22 > verses end-user maintenance time.
23 It might be a good idea to setup some kind of system where etc-update can be
24 told *how* to update certain files. Maybe something like
25 "/etc/.__update_make.conf" could be run as a script...
26 >
27 > 3) emerge -u world "NOTICE:" output changes.
28 >
29 > When doing an "emerge -u world" several "NOTICE:"'s fly by on the screen.
30 > For many users, they go unread although they contain important information
31 > in a lot of cases. If these "NOTICE:"'s are cached and output at the end
32 > of an "emerge -u world", their readership would have a dramatic increase.
33 > This would allow interested gentoo users to be more informed of their
34 > system.
35 I believe something like this is already being setup to some extent. Likely it
36 will simply be sent to a new stream or something so it can be easilly logged
37 and displayed later.
38 >
39 > 4) emerge -u world progress bar option
40 >
41 > Most users probably care less about the compilation stages of their update
42 > in comparison to the percentage of completion. A progress bar in this
43 > area would be a nice aesthetic and informative addition for most users.
44 > In order for this to happen, the output of the "emerge -u world" command
45 > would probably have to be standardized with some flags to mark the
46 > beginning and end of a compile.
47 I believe the -v option provides stuff scripts can look for...
48 >
49 > 5) A simple graphical front end to maintenance commands such as "emerge
50 > sync", "emerge -u world", and "etc-update".
51 >
52 > It would be a nice feature if users didn't have to commit these commands
53 > to memory for regular maintenance. The maintenance menu might have an
54 > icon on all of the default desktops. If this type of program was
55 > implemented, it could be prominently displayed and made known for all new
56 > users. Perhaps the install documentation could use this tool as much as
57 > possible.
58 I'm not sure, but wouldn't KPortage have something like this?
59 >
60 > 6) A streamlined GUI install.
61 >
62 > I'm sure this one has been brought up before. I consider this the "1.0"
63 > maker of the gentoo distribution. In such an installer, I suggest that
64 > the CFLAGS should not be modified by default. It has been shown in
65 > several places that optimizing these does not give a significant enough
66 > performance increase. It should stay, of course, as an option though.
67 Gentoo is currently at 1.4. 1.0 was quite a while ago. I am working on a GUI
68 install for computer newbies, and I believe the GLIS project is working on a
69 GUI for more experienced users...
70 >
71 > 7) Emerge -S and Emerge -s speed improvements.
72 >
73 > I don't know why these commands perform as slow as they do. My intuition
74 > says that they could be an order of magnitude faster. Perhaps a
75 > reimplementation in C/C++ or a data format change could help.
76 I doubt the language would improve the speed at all. I'm not sure why it's
77 slow, but it could very well be I/O access... grepping the Portage tree isn't
78 any faster.
79 - --
80 Luke-Jr
81 Developer, Gentoo Linux